We have spoken about sustainability before but considering the spotlight being put on this matter in the last couple of years, we feel it is important to re-look at this subject. In the world we live in now, it is so important to think about the environment and how we are treating it. Here in the iHotelligence office are doing our bit to help make our office more eco-friendly. We cut down on the amount of paper we print out, with our contracts, invoicing and internal communication all online and we ensure each employee is recycling on a day to day basis. There is still work to be done but it is something we are constantly focusing on as a group.
In the thriving world of hospitality, there are so many areas where small changes can make a big difference. If you have the means and budget to add some solar panels and implement a water recycling scheme, that’s great news! But not all changes need to be that big. Below are 5 small points that can make a big difference;
- Get your guests involved. Re-use towels when appropriate. Turn off the TV and lights when leaving the bedroom
- In the health-conscious world we live in now, smoothies and juices are not only good for us, but they can be great for the environment. Using the leftovers of a fruit or a vegetable i.e. the ends or the skin and blending down into a smoothie or a juice can be a great way to cut down on wastage but also provide your guests with additional beverage options.
- Cut down on printable materials. Utilise the online world we live in. Correspondence between employees can all be done online and thus reducing the amount of paper we use.
- Install air dryers in your bathrooms and reduce the use of paper towels.
- Get your staff involved. Encourage recycling in your staff areas and if numbers allow, set up a ‘Green Team’ of people who will enforce the Green Initiative throughout the property.
And just to leave you with a little thought from SSE Airtricity – Powering a Green Living – A tonne of recycled paper can save 17 trees – Now that is food for thought!